Sunday 18 January 2009

The rugby season is upon us

Well actually it's a monthish away but it's one of the things I really like that I haven't shared with you. So I thought I would educate some of my none rugby league loving friends on the greatest game.
The basics of the game can be found here on the popular democracy of lies wikipedia but what that cannot explain is why I love this game, why every weekend (apart from when we are playing in France) I go to the game, home or away, rain or shine. (You seriously have to experience Hull away in the rain to know how committed you are to a cause)
Rugby League is fast sport full of skill and power and is a game that really has to be seen in full flow to be truly appreciated, it has the bone crunching tackles, beautiful free flowing passing movements and plenty of drama. A game can literally turn on its head in a blink of an eye if it close.
I follow Leeds Rhinos, who in recent times have had a fair bit of success (they have won 3 championships in 5 years) but before 2004 they hadn't won the championship for 32 years! That's longer than I have been alive and that day at Old Trafford was brilliant, there were grown men crying everywhere with happiness, as for a long time we had also bottled it but no longer. For some reason it seems that sport is the only place guys get away with crying, strange that.
We have earned the success we are enjoying now and I'm going to enjoy it aslong as it lasts.
Anyway that was a pretty basic post about league, expect more as the season starts.

No comments: